Old 19-09-2006, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Overseeding

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:28:10 -0400, "Keith Corwell"
wrote:

Hi all I am thinking about doing some overseeding this fall.

I live in mid Maryland. My question is can I use a preemergence next
spring to fight crab grass

Yes. Before you overseed it is best to de-thatch if needed. Lightly
rake the seed into the grass. If the seed sets on top of the grass it
won't germinate, rots, or is eaten by birds. Mow close to the ground,
pick up clippings, and use a starter fertilizer the day you seed.
Overseeding will give you a thicker lawn with fewer weeds, less
crabgrass.