Old 19-09-2006, 05:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Aerating the lawn

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 18:02:29 -0400, Willshak
wrote:

Tom The Great wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:14:20 GMT, The Wanderer
wrote:

The core is more for a clay type of soil where the spike is for sandy soil.

Well that is extra information. Where I live, we seem to have more
clay like soil.

I kinda disagree with that since my spike aerator barely puts a dent in
my clay soil, unless I use it after a couple of days of steady rain. I
would imagine that a core aerator would have a more difficult time in
clay. If you have rocky soil, it is even worse.
I have to use tire chains on my tractor when using the spike aerator
when the ground is wet, because I'd be slippin' and aslidin' on the
slopes on my property. The tire chains add a wider path for aeration as
a bonus.

Maybe heavier weight on your aerator might help?

just a guess....

tom

thx,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Tom The Great wrote:

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 07:39:01 -0400, Javier
wrote:

Between the core and spike aerators, is one type better than the other?
Or easier to use? Or...

I'm trying to decide which kind to get.

Thanks,

-jav

I was told the 'core' or 'plug' type creates more surface area for O2,
water, and fertilizer to penatrate the soil.

Just saying....

tom @ www.Cupids-Love-Calculator.com