Old 19-09-2006, 12:20 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Little Black Ants, Again & Again

me wrote:

They're back, and they keep coming. Into our kitchen. We've been
waging war on them for eleven years and counting. ..

Spreading boric acid powder around makes it look like you've taken
up an expensive hobby in the kitchen,

I didn't expect to get a grin from a thread about ants in
the house, but this did it for me. :-)

summer) tiny ants would invade and attack. Terro ant traps ..
entry way and the ants never went past the traps.

I'll second dreq's comments; we have had this problem off
and on over the years--especially after heavy rains. This
year was an "ant year" but the same thing worked that has
worked for us befo Terro ant traps. There are big
"outdoor" ones and smaller ones made of clear plastic;
we use a mix of both.

I put them all outside, and dog-proof them by putting them
inside cinderblocks, or inside a tiny "shelter" made of
three bricks. I put one or two of these where I see a busy
ant trail. Usually the ants are swarming over the baits
within a few hours.

We had miserable trouble with ants in the house this
summer; putting out the Terro ant traps, a few times over
a month or so, has fixed it completely.

I tried other brands of ant baits at first, and didn't
have any success. Bought an armful of Terro products at
Burke Brothers (5227 Hillsborough St, 851-1211), which
sent our pests to the Great Ant Farm in the Sky, and
has given us some peace at last.

HTH.

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001