Old 19-09-2006, 05:22 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Philip Semanchuk Philip Semanchuk is offline

Default Tomato plants -- sudden death

In article ,
wrote:

Avoid top watering the plants, water at the base of the plant

I second this. Getting the leaves wet just encourages fungus. ALso, I've
been told that tomato plant leaves are very susceptible to soil-borne
fungus/parasites and a good way to get that fungus onto the plant is to
have exposed soil beneath the plant. THen a heavy watering or hard rain
will splash soil onto the lower leaves. I used to mulch with a thick
layer of grass clippings and it formed a nice mat that kept the soil in
place during a rain.

HTH
--
Philip Semanchuk