Old 19-09-2006, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Apples

In article .com,
cliff_the_gardener writes
Hello Janet
Sorry fro the delay - had a day out at Brogale Sunday - just getting
over it now.
The best book I can recommend for grafting is an oldy but goody
The Grafters Handbook, R J Garner ISBN 0304321729 I paid £6 for my
ex libary copy (so thanks go to Dudley Libary) There are pictures in
there.
I am not familiar with pictures on the net, but googled this link:-
http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/adv...topworking.htm

Thanks Clifford. Would Brogdale know the best apple types for an area?
Bernwode have tons of apples varieties but it would seem silly just to
grow one because it's an old variety without first eliminating those
that wouldn't be happy in flint and clay plus alkaline conditions.

.
As for soil conditions etc, I would repeat my recomendation for Martin
Crawfod's book Directory of Apple Cultivars available from
www.agroforestry.co.uk

Hmmm 25 pounds is a bit steep perhaps I'll order it via the library
first? Thanks you for the recommendation though it will help enormously.

.
In terms of mixing cultivars on a tree it can be done - sold as family
trees. Personally I am not a fan because many of the cultivars mixed
are picked bucause the public know the names, rather than matching the
vigour of the plant. My preference is to grow as cordons, as the trees
can be planted at a between plant 75cm x 3m rows

How much fruit would one tree hold then?
Could I grow say two cordons to complement a proper tree? We were
thinking of growing a fairly large tree where we had to cut down the red
oak this year. We could take up to 18 foot. We DO eat a lot of apples,
especially if they are Worcester's or russets. We have a Bramley further
down the garden and that seems okay, and a John Malus on the other side
of the lawn.

Do these books give you 'similar' apples in a group, e.g. russet like or
Worcester like? Perhaps a visit to an Apple tasting day would be best,
before choosing the variety.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy