Old 19-09-2006, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_3_] Sue[_3_] is offline

Default Huge blue butterfly

"Janet Baraclough" wrote
We've had an exceptional year for butterflies, the best in decades .
The hebes inula and buddleias have had (literally) dozens feeding
once, peacocks, red admirals, totoiseshells and painted ladie and some
orangetips and large whites. On the hill I've seen lots of cinnabar
moths, for the first time since the 70's. In my childhood we used to
see a lot of those on rural verges (and their handsome caterpillars).

We've seen hummingbird hawkmoths much more in recent summers,
but the main insects I've got a lot more of are ants, vine weevils and
lily beetle. :-/

My other half has been saying he'd like a holiday in Scotland. We might
have to follow the butterflies up there another year if they refuse to
stick around here.

--
Sue