Old 19-09-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Ailanthus altissima: "toxic tree of heaven"

"Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...

BAC wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...

BAC wrote:

Don't panic, it's been here for 250 years or so without 'taking

over'.

But the climate has heated up at an accelerated rate and now it might
be more sympathetic to this trees native conditions.

It may indeed, but that doesn't mean it will inevitably become a problem
here.

Good point.

(I probably got sucked into the Observer's screaming article title...
next time i'll buy the Mail on Sunday)

Among other things, it said in the article that...

i) it is often found near railway lines
ii) that by cutting back at the tree it sprouts off and throws out
underground suckers

Not sure if the methods they use in vegetation control around railways
(slash, slash some more, slash again) would help stop the second
point's phenomena.

Well, something kills them - I've managed to 'lose' a couple in my garden. I
must be the world's worst gardener, if I can't even grow an invasive alien
:-)