Old 19-09-2006, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne Dwayne is offline

Default Overseeding

I don't know how cold it gets there in the winter, but here in Kansas it get
below zero F several times a year. My preemergent has always said to use
after the last freeze.

I used to live in Arkansas, and the gardner that came on TV said the in the
spring the crabgrass would always sprout earlier than when the good grass
did. There was about a 2 week period that you could spray the grass with
roundup, kill the crabgrass, and leave the good stuff alone.

There is also a product called "over the top" that kills crabgrass. It is
best to use it when the crabgrass is small and it wont kill your other good
plants. It is rather expensive and it takes nearly 10 days to two weeks to
see the results. I sprayed it into my iris and got rid of a lot of
crabgrass, but 3 of my iris died also. Don't know if it was the Over the
top, or something else. It didn't bother the other 30 iris, but these three
were the oldest I had, not hybrids. I think it is made by Ferti.lome.

Dwayne

"Keith Corwell" wrote in message
Hi all I am thinking about doing some overseeding this fall.

I live in mid Maryland. My question is can I use a preemergence next
spring to fight crab grass