Old 20-09-2006, 01:06 PM posted to austin.gardening
BJ in Texas BJ in Texas is offline

Default Texas Sage for hedge ?

oldhickory wrote:
|| I have an idea about planting hedges around my new back yard.
|| We are fenced all the way around with white vinyl fencing and
|| have a sprinkler system. It's not a huge yard but I'd like to
|| start making it something special. I was able to get two
|| raised beds in for herbs this year and am ready to start
|| planning for fall and spring.
|| I was thinking about hedges on both sides, maybe even across
|| the back, to create an old fashioned English garden setting,
|| or maybe japanese. I think bamboo would be tough to
|| do--clumping bamboo doesn't propogate so it would be more
|| expensive and running bamboo...well, you know...
|| Anyway, I thought, perhaps, purple sage would be a
|| possibility. I have read that it can get up to 6-8 feet,
|| which would be enough (if I don't get busted by the HOA for
|| letting it get too high) and the flowers would be a gorgeous
|| addition.
|| I'm concerned that keeping the sprinkler system going
|| frequently enough (usually every 3rd day for about 10
|| minutes) to keep the grass alive, will be too much for the
|| sage. I'm especially concerned that it might not get tall
|| enough.
|| Any words of advice from experts out there?
|| Thanks for any input!
|| ie
|| --
|| ride fast, take chances.

The sage doesn't like wet conditions. If you water to keep the
grass alive be sure to put it in beds that drain well. I have it
several places on the hillsides on my property, once established
it requires no special care other than to prune it once in a
while
for shape.

That said, have you ever heard that a heavier watering once a
week is better for grass than multiple light waterings several
times a week.

BJ
"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and
car keys to teenage boys." -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

http://www.obsessionthemovie.com
http://www.americanpatrol.com/REFERENCE/isacrime.html
http://home.swbell.net/bjtexas/SS/