Old 21-09-2006, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
OrchidKitty OrchidKitty is offline

Default Wal Mart orchid pitures

Yes, the lesson learned is to buy from reliable sources, i.e., not the
big box stores. When I first started buying orchids, I bought plants
from Home Depot. I was surprised when they didn't live. Later, I found
out that their delivery trucks, handling, and display procedures were
not geared to New England fall and winter temperatures. Basically, the
roots froze before the plants got to the store, and if they didn't, the
HD employees killed them by overwatering. Now, I'd never buy a plant
from HD unless it was in April, May, September, or early October--and I
up-ended the pot to look at the roots. And I'd never count on the tag
being correct unless I was on-site when the plants were being unpacked.
There truly is no substitute for a professionally grown plant.

Diana Kulaga wrote:
One of the problems at the big box stores (and even, sometimes, at
nurseries) is that people remove tags to read them and don't replace them in
the same plant. In a nursery the grower *may* be able to correct the
problem, but in a big box the employees don't have the knowledge and no one
even tries.

Diana

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
Would Wal mart, Lowes and Home Depot be a trusted source????

I have / am learning to check the label and research the internet to see
if other users pictures match to my labels and blooms. There have been a
few interesting label switches at Home Depot and Lowes. One this weekend
was fairly obviously a Baldan's Kaleidoscope Golden Treasure ( based on my
own previous purchase, research and the 4 other ones around it) but it
had a tag of P. Sogo Pride on it. The tag was deep in the pot and was
stuck to the dirt as if it had been there for a while.

I see simialr mix ups at these stores all the time when they even have
tags.

"Ray" wrote in message
Bruce,

Don't count on being able to positively identify a hybrid from it's
appearance. In this yellow oncidium case, it's next to impossible, even
with the size thrown in. There are Sweet Sugar cultivars with huge lips
and some with smaller lips. Likewise, there are Gower Ramsays of all
sizes, as well. Then there are other hybrids - some using one of them as
a parent - that muddy the water completely.

The simple fact is that unless the plant is labeled and you trust the
source, you will never be absolutely certain.

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
1.1/4 inches wide and 1 5/8 tall
Width was measured at the skirt with its natural curve

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
The Yellow one is an Oncidium hybrid. It could be Sweet Sugar or Gower
Ramsay. Without seeing the size of the flower I can't tell which it
is.
Sweet Sugar is a larger flower than Gower Ramsay.

Gene

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
Of course it helps to include the link....

http://home.comcast.net/~katkom01/neworchid/album/

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
Some pictures of the Orchids I purchased at Wal-mart on my recent
trip
Wichita Falls, Texas

Also included are my 3 new (my first) spikes and a new one at
wal-mart
today

Anyone have a spare greenhouse?