Old 21-09-2006, 04:39 AM posted to austin.gardening
oldhickory oldhickory is offline

Default Texas Sage for hedge ?

Oh---DOH! Deep watering does make sense, hadn't thought about it...traumatic
year so we've just been squeaking by on managing a lot of things since we
moved--I didn't even get my herb garden started until July--that's scary!

Actually, we have bermuda....but I'll do a little quick research and make
sure we adjust accordingly.

Thanks so much for the great suggestions and advise!

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"Cliff" wrote in message
m...
Suggest you rethink your watering schedule. You should water only when
the lawn shows some sign that it needs it, with St Augustine that is when
the blades show some curling in the morning or when you walk across it in
the morning and can turn around and see where you walked. At that point
you should water long enough to put down 3/4 to 1 inch of water. By
watering lightly and frequently you are developing a root system that is
only at the surface.

Might want to look at Dwarf Burford Holly, no flowers to speak of but nice
evergreen and red berries in the fall and winter.

Good Luck

"oldhickory" wrote in message
I have an idea about planting hedges around my new back yard. We are
fenced all the way around with white vinyl fencing and have a sprinkler
system. It's not a huge yard but I'd like to start making it something
special. I was able to get two raised beds in for herbs this year and am
ready to start planning for fall and spring.

I was thinking about hedges on both sides, maybe even across the back, to
create an old fashioned English garden setting, or maybe japanese. I
think bamboo would be tough to do--clumping bamboo doesn't propogate so
it would be more expensive and running bamboo...well, you know...

Anyway, I thought, perhaps, purple sage would be a possibility. I have
read that it can get up to 6-8 feet, which would be enough (if I don't
get busted by the HOA for letting it get too high) and the flowers would
be a gorgeous addition.

I'm concerned that keeping the sprinkler system going frequently enough
(usually every 3rd day for about 10 minutes) to keep the grass alive,
will be too much for the sage. I'm especially concerned that it might not
get tall enough.

Any words of advice from experts out there?

Thanks for any input!

ie
--

ride fast, take chances.