Old 20-09-2006, 09:23 PM posted to alt.forestry,rec.gardens,rec.woodworking,sci.bio.botany
Raphanus Raphanus is offline

Default Need help identifying this tree

Prunus serotina - "Black cherry" - is common here in Aiken, SC, not far
from you. Do you remember anything about its flowers or fruit?

mhagen wrote:
monique wrote:
Looks as if it might be a Prunus (cherry.)

M. Reed

Deuteros wrote:
"Locutus" wrote in
:

"Deuteros" wrote in message

My neighbor cut down this tree in his yard and I offered to take it off
his hands and add to my firewood collection. However, neither of us has
any idea as to what kind of tree it is. I took some pictures of the
leaves, trunk, and a crossection of the trunk.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76095885@N00/

Might also want to post this to sci.bio.botany

Would also help if we knew what part of the world you are from.

Sorry about that. I live in Atlanta, Georgia.

Crossposted to sci.bio.botany.

I can't tell from the photo -- are there very small red "glands" at the
base of the leaf stems? That would be the confirmation of it being a
Cherry species.