Old 21-09-2006, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default hedges: which one?

wrote in message
Hello,

I am looking to buy a hedge for our garden. I'd like it to be about 4
ft high. I'd prefer not to buy a Leylandii because of all the bad
press they seem to have. Is this deserved?

It is worse; to properly control/keep in check you need to clip 2 or more
times per year; it gives me a rash if I rub against it (hrd to avoid when
clipping); it is very hard to renovate if you leave it for a season; it can
grow to a vast size and make your neighbours hate your guts; etc.

What hedge do you recommend? Is Yew the best?

It is slow growing and forms a very neat hedge; for fancy big house gardens
or mega topiary it is the Rolls Royce species.

Hawthorn is a bit prickly but is native and birds like it; it has nice
flowers and fruits (again for de birds); it is fairly slow growing but maybe
a bit hard to keep neat?

Thanks.