Old 21-09-2006, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default hedges: which one?

wrote in message
Hello,

I am looking to buy a hedge for our garden. I'd like it to be about 4
ft high. I'd prefer not to buy a Leylandii because of all the bad
press they seem to have. Is this deserved?

What hedge do you recommend? Is Yew the best?

Thanks.

There really is not a best hedge, even Leylandii can make a superb hedge but
as Des has pointed out it is high maintenance. Thuja is a good alternative
to Leylandi but again it is high maintenance.
Yew is excellent but can look a little funereal and dull. There are yellow
versions which can liven things up.
The list is endless--don't forget beech,hornbeam and even good old Ligustrum
(privet).
Let's complicate things and suggest a mixed hedge:-)