Old 22-09-2006, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default When do pears ripen?

"Zootal" writes:
It's mid September, and the clouds and rain are moving in. And my pears are
still rock hard. I'm thinking of picking them now before they rot in the

If it's any consolation: the pears I buy from the supermarket can take up
to 3 weeks to soften, in cold weather.

If you conclude your pears are never going to soften, cut them into quarters
and stew them by boiling in water with added sugar. They soften and develop
flavour. Chill in fridge, then serve with ice-cream, custard or yogurt.