Old 22-09-2006, 01:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
newsreader newsreader is offline

Default fall leaves

dkhedmo wrote:
We just moved into our first house. We have woods at the back of the
very large yard, and many large, mature trees on our property as well as
the surrounding neoghbors'.

My property is surrounded by trees on the perimeter. I'm sort of out in
the country, on a 3 acre lot, with a fairly wide buffer of scrub woods
between me & the neighbors, so I don't really need to or care to be
concerned about the leaves blowing issue.

I do however have a fair amount of lawn (not very pristine) that I like
to keep reasonably nice looking. I handle the leaves much the same as
others who replied. I run the mower over them, blowing them mostly into
the woods. I try to go out with the mower pretty frequently in fall, so
that I'm blowing / chopping leaves while they are still dry & have not
gotten very deep. They basically disappear into the lawn once chopped up
by the mower. If it rains while the leaves are thick on the ground, they
will indeed mat down & possibly choke out the grass.