Old 22-09-2006, 07:33 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Abraham Evangelista Abraham Evangelista is offline

Default Need an ID on these plants.

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 02:51:26 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

In article ,
Abraham Evangelista wrote:
Potamogeton
http://www.sonnani.com/aquaria/hex_02_small.jpg
http://www.sonnani.com/aquaria/30_01_small.jpg

Cool stuff aint it?

Very much so. Visually it's nothing at all like the other stem plants
in the tank. (Parrot Feather, Mermaid Weed, Green Cabomba, Money
Wort, Ludwigia, Bladderwort, Rotala, Baby's Tears)

Kinda looks like someone took Aponogeton leaves and glued them to a
stem. :-)

Ya know Ludwigia grows around here

Where's "here" for you?

and seems to do ok indoors but always dies in the winter.

Funny you should mention that. I've got what was sold to me as "Red
Hygro", which upon visual inspection seems to much more closely
resemble Ludwigia Repens.

I pulled a foot long stem of what I think is also Ludwigia Repens from
Ridley Creek the other day. the leaf structure closely resembles what
I think is Ludwigia in my tank, but it lacks the deep red coloration
that my grown stuff does. Seeing as how I pulled it from a reasonably
well lit area, I'm surprised at its green coloration. This bit should
have been getting plenty of sunlight.

New growth at the bottom of my store bought ludwigia is also light
green, but isn't as pointed as that from the specimin I brought back
home. I've planted these a little too closely, so the bottom bits
aren't getting quite as much light as the tops.

I'll try to remember to get some comparison pics tommorrow when the
lights come back on.

I sorta wonder if it's programmed to die in the winter or something.

Do you know if it goes to seed at some point? I had some in my pond,
which eventually managed to grow emersed, but it never went to flower
or seed. I've left it in there, so if the new koi don't tear it
apart, we'll see if it makes it through the winter. If it doesn't
freeze solid perhaps it will survive. The pond is just a preform
liner, and I've got it above ground. I've got a rock wall around it
now, but I'm planning on removing the rocks, backfilling around it
with dirt, then rebuilding the wall before winter gets here. Hopefully
this will be enough to keep it from freezing through.

It'll be interesting see what happens
with yout stuff in the upcoming months.

I'm curious too. Might go for a drive tommorrow and see what else I
can turn up, if it isn't too terribly chilly. There's a couple of
manmade lakes within an hour's drive of here that might yield
something interesting, but the water temperatues are dropping, so I'll
need to act fast before these plants hit their dormancy phase or die
back.
--
"Oh no! look over there! How did a Chupacabra get into the house? Quick!
Hide all the goats!" - Lisa, Girl's Bravo, English Dub