Old 22-09-2006, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Apples

Jim Jackson wrote:
cliff_the_gardener wrote:
Most true cookers cook to a puree or froth. As for a cooking apple that
cooks sweet and holds it shape on cooking. Would probalbly go for
something like Charles Ross. A desert that cooks orange and holds
shape - when young! You could always go American and use a ripe Golden
Delicious as a cooker. (Waiting for uproar)

No - why? The french just cook with eating apples. They don't
differentiate.

I think the poor Golden Delicious has been classed as a really rubbish
apple - that and the fact that prior to being in supermarkets it has
been stored for months in carbon dioxide ... There's a fashion about
apples atm. If it's not red or shiny, it must be 'a connoisseur's
variety'. I certainly had fallen for it when bying my apple tree years
ago... Where were you Cliff when I needed you, huh?!