Old 22-09-2006, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Apples

, I, Marvo, say :

Jim Jackson wrote:
cliff_the_gardener wrote:
Most true cookers cook to a puree or froth. As for a cooking apple
that cooks sweet and holds it shape on cooking. Would probalbly go
for something like Charles Ross. A desert that cooks orange and
holds shape - when young! You could always go American and use a
ripe Golden Delicious as a cooker. (Waiting for uproar)

No - why? The french just cook with eating apples. They don't
differentiate.

I think the poor Golden Delicious has been classed as a really rubbish
apple - that and the fact that prior to being in supermarkets it has
been stored for months in carbon dioxide ... There's a fashion about
apples atm. If it's not red or shiny, it must be 'a connoisseur's
variety'. I certainly had fallen for it when bying my apple tree years
ago... Where were you Cliff when I needed you, huh?!

I still like the GD, although you're right, it has become "unfashionable". I
don't understand why, I think a crisp, sharp apple is nicer, although the
sweeter "English" reds seem to be more popular, especially with my
littl'uns.