Old 22-09-2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] Marley1372@comcast.net is offline

Default Did You Ever Eat A Bradford Pear?

All pears have showy flowers, not just the bradfords. Either you
bought something that was mismarked or the top died and the rootstock
took over. Also, if your "bartlett" is from seed, then it is not a
bartlett. If you planted a seed from a bartlett pear, then you have a
different tree, one that would have charachteristics of one of
bartletts parent plants.

Toad

Curious, because I paid for a Brad and the flowers every year have
been showy, notwithstanding the tree's small stature.

About 50 yards away, I have a Bartlett pear, grown from seed in 1979,
and now 40 ft. tall.

Maybe the two had sex and the Bartlett's genes dominate the babies.