Old 22-09-2006, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle Penelope Periwinkle is offline

Default Speaking of spinach alternatives...

Has anybody tried this?

***
http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=1217

Strawberry Spinach

(Chenopodium capitatium) Also referred to as Strawberry Blite, grown
in Europe for centuries. Very showy compact 16-18" plants are grown
for their nutritious triangular tooted leaves and tender shoots, used
in salads or steamed. Shiny red mulberry-like fruits are edible, can
be added to salads or used for dying. Hard to find. Self-seeding
annual.

***

Anything that has the word "blight", even spelled funny, as part of
its name and is a self-seeding annual gives me pause. That line
between abundant and invasive is so easy to cross. I already have
lemon basil that pops up all over the yard.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"