Old 22-09-2006, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Spreader problems

neilson wrote:
Hi folks, can anyone suggest a good method of preventing the contents of
a lawn spreader from going onto the border area, e.g. when applying
grass seed, fertilizer or lawn weed/moss killer.
Is it a case of positioning your self a required distance (based on the
spray diameter I would assume) from the lawn edge, is this consistent?
Or are there better, more surer methods than this?
I have found I am getting a fair amount of new grass growth in my
border areas , due to recent re-seeding. Also this could be quite a
problem when using lawn weed killer.

A nuisance. You might stick a sheet of something on the bedward side
with gaffer tape to act as a baffle -- cardboard would do. If that
results in too thick a spread along the edges, you might even the
excess out with a broom. If you don't want to do that, all I can
suggest is the obvious experimental method, which is to do a run down
the middle and note how far out the stuff flies. I don't know how you'd
then avoid the likely problem of thinner spreading along the edges --
probably by following up with a sprinkle by hand, or by the traditional
method of shrugging one's shoulders and not caring much.

--
Mike.