Old 22-09-2006, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Spreader problems

, I, Marvo, say :

"neilson" wrote in message

Hi folks, can anyone suggest a good method of preventing the
contents of a lawn spreader from going onto the border area, e.g.
when applying grass seed, fertilizer or lawn weed/moss killer.
Is it a case of positioning your self a required distance (based on
the spray diameter I would assume) from the lawn edge, is this
consistent? Or are there better, more surer methods than this?
I have found I am getting a fair amount of new grass growth in my
border areas , due to recent re-seeding. Also this could be quite a
problem when using lawn weed killer.

I had this problem when we had a large garden and used the Flymo :-((
and the chuck out of cut grass into the borders.

Solved it by sticking canes/sticks/anything of the like around the
edge and draping same with old dust sheets, blankets, sheets of
polythene etc..

Sounds like more work than it's worth, but really isn't. Doesn't take
tooooooooo long to erect/dismatle and move to the next area :-)) and
that is if you have to do it yourself and don't have someone to hold
a board as someone else has suggested :-))

I think it would be a wizard idea to make a thing that goes on the front or
back of the mower which could dispense such stuff. That way it would only go
where it should, and you get a mow and a fertilise etc in one hit.

Therefore, I imagine someone has invented such a thing, as every time I
think of a wizard idea someone else has patented it and/or built it.