Old 22-09-2006, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Davy Davy is offline

Default Apple Tree Data - Where to Find?

I have found the source of the information I need - at
http://gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_...r_2d_apple.asp -
the apple varieties are listed in the right margin.

many thanks

Davy

"Davy" wrote in message
om...
I need to plant some apple trees in my garden. My requirements are a bit
specific; my wife can't eat apples with tough or thick skins, I want

apples
with a spreading habit, etc. I don't care about taste cos I've never

eaten
an apple that I didn't like.
I have had many recommendations for varieties but unfortunately they

neglect
to tell you that the apple is susceptible to mildew, or that it has an
upright habit, etc.

Does any one know of a good source of information on apples, preferably
online, which mentions skin, vigour, habit, disease resistance and whether
biennial bearing?

There was a Gardening Which? report in October 1984 which did list these
things for 24 of the most common varieties; but of course does not mention
the more modern varieties.

thanks, Davy