Old 22-09-2006, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] steve@staffbull.net is offline

Default levelling garden

p.k. wrote:
wrote:
I have a part of the garden I have built up to another level using the
soil from excavation for a house extension. During the summer it was
too dry and hard to level, now its getting wetter i am considering how
to get a finer level on it, its "mini digger" level at the mo, just
need to get it level for grassing it. What would be the best method, I
was thinking heavy duty rotovator and rake level.
Am I on the right track ? soil is very clay and tends to clump
together

Your problem is two fold.

1. You have clay soil abd it is (to coin a phrase) a right bugger to work
with and level.

2. you are spreading sub soil from foundation depth on top of top soil.
sub-soil is infertile and virtually dead.

What you should have done, is move all the topsoil to 30-45cm depth to one
side using a mini digger, spread the subsoil to bring to level then cover
with the reserved topsoil mixed with lots of organic matter and grit for
body and drainage.

If you can still do that, do!

pk

cant get the mini digger back in ! I used a route through a farmers
field by pulling down the old fence, he has since re fenced the entire
field so would not be very happy with me wrecking it again !! is there
anything I could mix in with it with a rotovator?