Old 21-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Radika Kesavan

Default Rose rescue

Cass wrote:
Radika Kesavan wrote:

Iceberg

... I had the pleasure (and it was a pleasure) of pruning what
seemed like an eight-foot monster which was simply the bush form of
this rose not too long ago.

I know it's not your favorite, and after that torture by Kirra, who
can blame you.

Heheh. It is only the whiteness in any rose that is not my favourite,
but this rose is not *any* rose, is it? It has slowly grown on me in my
long years in California, and I am very impressed by its constant
cheerfulness and no-nagging policy in this climate.

I'd take that burgundy job any day of the week. But Iceberg is a
great rose around here, easy to keep at 6 feet, flowers every 3
weeks, no disease to speak of.

Every 3 weeks. What a nice schedule. That is the same length of time
that the Santa Clara County Library lends their books to us - not four,
not two, not one, but this very odd 3 weeks.

Sorry, I digress. What I really wanted to say was that a grouping of
white, pink and burgundyish maroonish red works beautifully with other
flowring bushes, say Peonies or Azaleas for example. It is very pleasing
to the eye, and sort of gulp romantic in the old-fashioned sense of
the word - that has more to do with riding the Orient Express sort of
romantic rather than the romanc ekind of romantic, IYKWIM. So, when they
get the Burgundy Iceberg out here, I might consider getting a grouping
of I, BPI and BI may be. But then, something else might have to go. I am
not sure what. Oh well. You get my idea, anyway, I am sure.

I thought that this relative of your

brother already had Granada?

I ordered it, not shipped or received. Still time to fudge, change
and equivocate. Now I have two to subtract. Or substitute.

Substitute. Don't subtract. Then again, you know that already ;-).

Lavender Sunblaze

I never played with barbies and it's too late to start.

Touché!

And they have Weeks' Dainty Bess. It's all I can do to not drive
over there to pick one up. Tell me it's a dog, a mildew magnet,
but the contrast of those purplish stamens with the white petals
is alluring.

Is it? I mean, a mildew magnet? I had not noticed that - it is very
pretty and alluring and what-not, that is what I have noticed.

Figures. I only find out about the bad ones after I've bought the.

... What else did they have at the Home D. that caught your
fancy?

There were plenty, tho nothing I wanted.

So ... go back and get Dainty Bess! You needn't have to have *me* tell
*you* that, right?

--
Radika
California