Old 23-09-2006, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams[_2_] michael adams[_2_] is offline

Default why does wood change colour in the rain?

wrote in message
ups.com...

La Puce wrote:

I think it's too late to regain the colour.

I've checked some photos I took when the decking was originally laid.
The change in colour I've observed is definitely back to the original
colour, not just darkening of the grey. If the temporary change back
to the original colour is something to do with the wood fibres
temporarily retaining the water, then maybe the answer lies in finding
a treatment which will enhance the water-retaining properties of the
fibres.

Ken

That might introduce the possibility of fungal growth, algae etc.
When the timber was originally felled, the mositure content was
sap, water taken up through the roots, mixed with various compounds,
such as the gum you get seeping out of wounds etc. That sap is
probably resistant to fungus, whereas straight water isn't.

You could always paint a small square with a weatherproof yacht
varnish*, let it dry and then compare that with a wet section.
The conventional wisdom states that you'll simply get a darker
tone of the weathered colour. Same as would happen with oil,
once it had dried to the touch.

michael adams

* If only it was possible to buy small tins of it, that is.
For experimental purposes any clear polyurethane varnish
would probably do.