Old 23-09-2006, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default why does wood change colour in the rain?

wrote:
I've checked some photos I took when the decking was originally laid.
The change in colour I've observed is definitely back to the original
colour, not just darkening of the grey. If the temporary change back
to the original colour is something to do with the wood fibres
temporarily retaining the water, then maybe the answer lies in finding
a treatment which will enhance the water-retaining properties of the
fibres.

I understand what you mean and want to achieve - but I cannot agree in
'sealing' in the colour you have now while the wood is wet. You could
however use a die once it's dry. That would be a real shame though and
I don't think you'll get that red look you like either. Wood changes
all the time - some years my gates are darker than other years. I think
that the appeal of wood.

Having said that .... I have been known to do mad things in my time,
one being to paint a very very old wooden and leather trunk in bright
pink and acid green ... There was no chance for the wood to recover
it's original colour, it was badly damaged and looked as if it had been
left outside for decades. The final result is not to everyone's taste,
but it's still there and is being admire for it's strange appearance. I
have restored many wooden items using gentle sanding, streaping,
waxing, oiling - but once something is outside and as soaked in water,
and you cannot bring back indoors to dry - the best thing is either
leave it as it is and enjoy it's natural changes from dark to light
colours, or take the plunge and do something mad on it )