Old 23-09-2006, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Garlic bulbs

Andrew wrote

My garlic crop was a bit of a disaster this year, so I've decided to stop
using bulbs from the supermarket and buy some 'proper' ones.

I want to plant the bulbs next month and they will be growing in an area
that will be damp / wet over the winter.

Quick questions:

1. The best variety.

2. Recommended seller - preferably one that sells online.

I must admit we had an excellent Garlic crop this year, very sunny and hot
and a new allotment not used for 10 years possibly 20 so very fertile, and
always get our "seed" heads from either Marshalls or T & M, whatever they
are selling. Didn't like Elephant Garlic at all when we tried it years ago,
taste is a croos between mild garlic and leek.
Originally we did what you have always done, just bought shop garlic and
planted that, but we tried the proper "seed" one year and never went back to
the ordinary shop stuff.

--
Regards
Bob H