Old 24-09-2006, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener madgardener is offline

Default coffee grounds?

I agree. George.com wrote:
"readandpostrosie" wrote in message
i was told to surround the base of my clematis with coffee grounds?
is that a good thing?

thanks,
rosie

I am not too sure about the needs of clematis but used coffee grounds are
very useful in the garden. They make a decent slow release fertiliser, add
organic matter to the soil and go ok as a mulch.

rob

If you're talking about asking for coffee grounds from restaurants, in
bulk, I'd let them compost before they were added around any plants,
clematis or roses. Better to put them in a compost pile or bucket to
break down if you're talking bulk. If you're only talking the grounds
from the daily coffee at home, you can distribute the grounds everywhere
like George suggested. They're good to aerate the soil, add some slight
nutrition to the health of the dirt. They're slightly acidic. And it's
better for not sending them to the landfill in the weekly garbage.

hope fall is being good to you. My sweet autumn clematis has now
finished and has started setting fuzzy seed heads. And the Jackmanii is
hopefully forgiving me for the brutal pruning when I tore the rotted
grapevine trellis out last fall. I have something way more sturdy and
permanent now for it to latch on and slug it out with the porcelain vine.
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee. zone 7, Sunset zone 36