Old 24-09-2006, 04:01 AM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default What to plant

"Ms Leebee" wrote in message
FlowerGirl wrote:
The spot is underneath our front steps.

The plant needs to be a native (preferably although other options
will be considered).

It must not grow more than ~1m tall, smaller preferably, or

perhaps
be grown in a hanging basket

Soil is well-drained and plant must be able to survive on minimal
water.

It will be in full sun most of the day (not early morning).

I'm thinking some sort of paper daisy ground cover. Maybe kangaroo
paw. DH wants to put cactus there (but I hate cactus).
There is a jasmine plant there but I'm not that fond of it.

It does sound like succulents would be your friend .. or something

strappy
like Iris, or NZ flax ?
Lavender ?

We have a LOT of succulents here, from the previous owner, and they

live on
air. Most of them are damn ugly, but some arent that bad at all.

Need no
care or water.

Do you know Sedum "Autumn Joy"? It's a truly great garden succulent.