Old 24-09-2006, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default why does wood change colour in the rain?

"Jiri Borsky" wrote in message
La Puce wrote:

Jiri Borsky wrote:
The explanation: Water and other liquids conduct light in a different
way
to air. When the wood (soil, fabric, etc) is wet, it reflects light
differently from when dry. Usually it appears darker, as more light
rays
penetrate deeper via the liquid filling the spaces and get absorbed
there.
When the liquid evaporates it is again replaced by air (with smaller
refraction coefficient) and the surface appears lighter.
To retain the darker "wet" appearance you would have to fill the pores
of dry wood with some non-evaporating substance, such as wax.

Fantastic. So you'd apply wax once it's dry?

If it were indoors, my answer would be an unequivocal Yes. Wax is kind to
wood.

Outdoors: Not sure how wax would cope with our weather and whether it
would attract airborne dirt or otherwise change its appearance? One would
need to do a bit of research into what is on the market specifically for
exterior applications.

Best wishes,
Jiri Borsky

The wax might indeed melt/cook/go hard and even whiter............
Perhaps varnish might be a better idea, but only if the wood is 100% dry.
Jenny