Old 25-09-2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] shoemakerted@yahoo.com is offline

Default poor corn harvest -- some ideas?

Hello,

This afternoon I harvested ornamental corn from my backyard garden. It
was pitiful. If all farmers were like me, the world would starve. So
I have some questions, thinking about next year.

* How do I improve pollination? I had 4 rows of corn, and about 10-15
plants in each row, about 6 inches apart. That's closer than the seed
packet recommended, but comparable to the spacing that the local
farmers use.

* I picked the corn now, even though it wasn't ready, because the
forecast is for cold weather soon. Would frosty temperatures kill
corn? If not, I could have left it to grow longer. The professional
corn farmers in this area harvested about three weeks ago.

Thank you,

Ted Shoemaker, certified Gray Thumb

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5