Old 24-09-2006, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,soc.culture.china,soc.culture.asian.american,rec.food.cooking
J.Venning J.Venning is offline

Default Does anyone have experience dehydrating Chinese vegetables?

"James" wrote in message ups.com...
"James" wrote in message ps.com...
I've read people hanging up pak choi to dry. I like to preserve bitter
melon, Chinese okra (cee gwa), winter melon. My winter melons rot
easily. Bitter melon ripens very fast and cee gwa gets tough very
quickly. Since I usually get a big bunch bearing at the same time,
much of it goes to waste.

Ever tried a Google search on the subject? "Dehydrating vegetables" has about 2,510 topics.

OTOH google turned up nothing on "Dehydrating chinese vegetables". I'm
actually more interested in what dishes the dehydrated stuff is used.
Obviously the dried veges won't be used in stir fry. I think dired pak
choi soup taste better than green pak choi soup. Don't think I've had
other dried veges.

I know that, and I would have told you that it did, had I found it. I was hoping you would sieve through and find one that dealt with Chinese veg. Incidentally, have you ever tried fresh Chinese mustard cabbage? It's called "kai choi" in Cantonese, and "jie cai" in Mandarin, and I can tell you, there is *nothing* on this good Earth that can beat that when placed in a soup (not cooked with it).
J.