Old 24-09-2006, 11:33 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default snail repellent

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

But do you have any ideas for getting rid of currawongs? The

mongrel
*******s eat smaller birds and I need my wrens for aphid patrols.
BTW, the aphids have arrived and still not a sign of any ants

anywhere
near the roses but the wrens are very active.

A good way to increase your local wren population is to provide them
with nesting sites. A lot of my birdhouse gourd houses are occupied
every year, sometimes twice in a season. :-)

Easy to make too.

I have quite a few birdhouse gourd seeds on hand if you want some?

Thanks for the generous offer Om. Are you in Australia? If not then
I must sadly decline due to quarantine concerns. However, I'm sure
that the problem isn't breeding, we have lots odfine leaved shrubs and
bushes and each year we have babies. It's just that the sodding
Currawongs are such efficient and effective killers.

We went away for 3 days and when we came back we both noticed how much
the small bird population had dropped. We keep an eye on the
Currawongs when we are here and "discourage" them for being aroudn.