Old 21-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Radika Kesavan

Default companion plant

Kumar Varadan wrote:
I am looking for some nice spreading plant with flowers for the rose
bed.

Kumar,

Of all the companion plants I have grown with roses, my most favourite
combination is the following:

(1) Woolly thyme as spreading ground cover
(http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...nuginosus.html),
(2) an assortment of spring bulbs such as Sparaxis, Babiana, Grape
Hyacinths, Tulips, Daffodils, Anemone, Iceland Poppies and so on
(http://www.dutchbulbs.com/gardenguide/index-nav.htm),
(3) lots of Amaryllis for winter blooming (out here),
(4) many summer-blooming bulbs and rhizomes and corms such as Asiatic
and Oriental lilies,
(5) an assortment of white and many-coloured Calla Lilies to bloom in
our winter through summer months
(http://stores.bulbmall.com/166/y32069.1.html),
(5) Daylilies - there are some truly sumptuous tetraploid ones
(http://www.bushnellgardens.com/tetraploid_daylilies.htm) and so on.

I have grown any number of many other things, but I love the above
combination for growing in the rose beds themselves because this
provides a very easy-going setup, the plants do not steal water from the
roses, and there is always something blooming. Besides, I forget what
bulbs I planted where and all of a sudden things pop up like surprise
birthday presents. I also like growing Canna Lilies, Azaleas, Camellias,
Hydrangeas, Peonies and so on, but I try to grow them away from roses.

You live in Texas, don't you? Much of these plants ought to be
cultivable in your climate too, I imagine.

--
Radika
California