Old 25-09-2006, 03:24 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Terryc Terryc is offline

Default snail repellent

Farm1 wrote:

A good way to increase your local wren population is to provide them
with nesting sites. A lot of my birdhouse gourd houses are occupied
every year, sometimes twice in a season. :-)

Easy to make too.

I have quite a few birdhouse gourd seeds on hand if you want some?

Thanks for the generous offer Om. Are you in Australia? If not then
I must sadly decline due to quarantine concerns.

Look at some of the gourds offered by Eden Seeds.
http://www.edenseeds.com.au
alphabetical, then G for gourds. (search for gourds didn't work)

you might need to hand pollinate as well (like pumpkins). We grew one
of their Large gourds (bottle) last years, but it wasn't pollinated and
remained small and eventually rotted away.had

However, I'm sure
that the problem isn't breeding, we have lots odfine leaved shrubs and
bushes and each year we have babies. It's just that the sodding
Currawongs are such efficient and effective killers.

Hmm, if you have stuff like cotoneaster, pycantha, etc locally, do all
you can to get rid of them. It is believed these are part of the reason,
currowangs overwinter on these and thus survive in greater numbers for
spring.

You also might like to observer if the small leaved stuff is actually
protecting the small birds or if the currawongs "enter" the shrtubs in
pursuit. chicken wire cage it or spiny pshrubs (bursaria)