Old 21-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] U. parvifolia problem

In a message dated 3/21/2003 3:54:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

It has been VERY, VERY wet here. Most of my trees seem to have
adapted OK -- except for many of my Chinese elms.

Two forests, both planted on slabs/stones in fairly heavy soil
(one step up from muck) and a small raft are having new
growth
wilt then turn black and crispy.

Jim:

I sympathize with your plight. Suggestion:

1. Check the roots. You can do this without lifting the entire pad from the slab. Go to the back of the planting, and wedge out a section of root. This is healthy for the root system, and it is a great way to inspect for root rot. It does not sound li
ke rot to me.

2. Remove the dead, infected leaves--I suspect fungus is the problem from the excessive rain, i.e., stegophora ulmea, formerly Gnomonia, a fungus.

3. Spray with Daconil (preference), Bordeaux powder, Benomyl, or something that specifies treatment for Black Spot.

4. Place the planting under a protective covering for 5-7 days.

Let me know how things go.

Cordially,

Michael
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html