Old 24-09-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg Chris Hogg is offline

Default Dierama pendulem?

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:51:59 GMT, "clarissa"
wrote:

Hi I am once again turning here for answers after searching all my books
and garden centres. I have finally found the lovely plant Dierama pendulem
(or Angels' Fishing Rod) which I seen growing so beautifully on the Oregon
coast. So how can I keep the corm alive through our winter here - which may
go down to 0-4 C (30-40 F). for a few days during the winter. Should I
plant it and let it get more healthy before I take it up and put it in the
garage for the winter. Should I store the corm with or without dirt, dry or
water once in a while. Or - should I leave it in the ground (the sunny spot
where it would grow best is not very sheltered) and cover with some dried
leaves? I would very much appreciate some help. Thanks Jean

Most species of dierama will take a few degrees of frost. D. pendulum
should be OK to -5C. We grow mostly D. pulcherrimum outdoors in UK in
the south west and leave then in the ground all year. They don't like
being disturbed and digging them up would do more harm than leaving
them where they are. A winter mulch of leaves is probably OK, but
nothing too dense or compact as they like good drainage. Add grit to
the soil when you plant them. If you're growing them from corms, you
may have difficulty getting them established. IMO the best way to get
them going is to sow seed directly where you want them to grow. Takes
longer to get the final result, but more chance of success.

--
Chris