Old 25-09-2006, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Hazelnuts

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message .com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

Nick Maclaren wrote:
How small are the holes? Your latter guess seems likely.

My childhood revisited! The weevil drilles a hole and put it's egg in
there and the maggot eats the nut and leaves only powder. So many times
I've have been disappointed. I'll ask my uncle what he does - I
remember him spraying something and it perhaps could be bordeaux mix.

Thanks very much for this confirmation.
I'm not going to be spraying my whole hedgerow though. I couldn't reach
and wouldn't anyway on principle. I'm happy to live with it. The loss to
birds is far more significant.

If you had said you had been 'losing' the nuts to grey squirrels, there
would have been some on this newsgroup encouraging you to kill some of them.
Good job it's birds.