Old 25-09-2006, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Any Ideas For this Strip of Land??

, I, Marvo, say :

Hi,

I have a very long, thin back garden, with two paths either side of a
1m x 10m strip of land.

I've been racking my brains as to what to do with this piece of
garden. I don't particularly want a 10x1 flower bed. More of a design
that can be attractive yet take away from the hard rectangular lines,
if possible.

Does anyone have any ideas?? Many thanks

1m is very narrow! I used to have a very long, very narrow garden but not
that narrow. I would put it to herbs, I think, it's ideal because the 1m
makes everything accessible. And there are many herbs which are both
decorative and functional too, and many have strong (and nice) smells. Also,
flowering herbs (once they've gone over, like chives etc) attract bees and
such.

You can always break it up a bit with some trellis, there are tall arches
available in garden centres made of black-coated metal (self-assembly, cost
a tenner), they'd be ideal for some climbing plants like honeysuckle maybe,
and that would have the effect of "shortening" the plot too.

JMHO, obv.