Old 25-09-2006, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams[_2_] michael adams[_2_] is offline

Default Any Ideas For this Strip of Land??

"Planet X" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a very long, thin back garden, with two paths either side of a
1m x 10m strip of land.

I've been racking my brains as to what to do with this piece of
garden. I don't particularly want a 10x1 flower bed. More of a design
that can be attractive yet take away from the hard rectangular lines,
if possible.

Does anyone have any ideas?? Many thanks

The first thing to do is to dig up one of the paths. Two paths are
unecessary in this situation, IMO.

That is, after first determining the aspect, North, South, East,
or West facing, how high the fences are, and if there are any
overhanging trees, either from the side or the bottom of the garden.
I.e. which parts of the actual plot will get how much light, for how
many hours each day. Your subsequent plantings should be in keeping
with this, while more shaded path would normally be the one to dig out.

Presumably this strip is part of a garden shared between residents
of the one dwelling.

michael adams