Old 25-09-2006, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams[_2_] michael adams[_2_] is offline

Default Camellia growing tips ??

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I have a camillia which I bought at the start of the year which was
just a single stem several inches tall.

It was potted up in erricatious soil and had now just grown into a much
taller and floppy single stem.

Should I prune this to make it bush out and if so when and how should I
prune ?

With apologies for the piggy-backing, might I add a couple of
questions? I have bought a camelia only a few weeks ago, and potted it
in ericaceous compost. It is now living in front of my very sheltered
gable end, but to my surprise, the buds it was covered in when I bought
it appear to be flower buds. At least I assume so from their being
well inflated, and letting through a little fushia colour.
Isn't it rather unseasonal? Is this going to mean trouble? Is there
anything I can or should do ?

All perfectly normal. Whatever you do, don't bring it indoors or the
buds will drop off. Buds are set as soon as the last lot of flowers drop
off, and gradually swell up through the summer and autumn. Following a
dry summer, water well in late summer and early autumn to prevent
bud drop. Depending on the variety it may flower any time between
November and March. Position it so as to avoid early morning sunshine
on frosted buds, as this can damage them permanently.

michael adams

Thanking you!
Cat(h)