Old 25-09-2006, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Hazelnuts

Nick Maclaren writes

In article ,
Janet Galpin writes:

| | I was also wondering what makes the neat single holes in the side of
| | some of the shells and some more googling has established that this is
| | probably nut weevil. Where there is a hole there are normally other
| | insects inside - wood lice or small millipede-type insects - but I
| | presume they could well be opportunists.
|
| How small are the holes? Your latter guess seems likely.
|
| About 1 to 2 mm?

The reason that I asked is that one of the small rodents (dormouse?)
makes neat, single, round holes - but they are much bigger.

I think it's wood mice and voles (among others)

You can distinguish between them because one holds it tilted away and
gnaws away from the outside, and the other tilts it towards him ad gnaws
from the inside, so in one case you get tooth scratches on the outside,
in the other case you don.t.

But, as Nick says, much bigger holes.
--
Kay