Old 25-09-2006, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Any Ideas For this Strip of Land??

"Planet X" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a very long, thin back garden, with two paths either side of a
1m x 10m strip of land.

I've been racking my brains as to what to do with this piece of
garden. I don't particularly want a 10x1 flower bed. More of a design
that can be attractive yet take away from the hard rectangular lines,
if possible.

Does anyone have any ideas?? Many thanks

Ergo - garden is 3 meters wide.

Demolish the paths
Make 'staggered' or 'squiggly paths, or stepping stones
Put up barriers so that you can't see all the way to the end in one go
(trellis, shrubs, obelisks, bamboo, whatever....)
Use different materials to break up the space, wood, paving, gravel

RHS has this to say:
A long thin garden, for example, lends itself to being divided into
compartments although it would be a mistake to simply cut it across from
side to side, which would be restrictive and uninteresting. A simple way is
to incorporate a winding path that runs right through the garden, using
plants to block the view from one end to the other or you could use an open
trellis that is planted with climbers. These techniques give the impression
of reducing the length while allowing you to catch glimpses of the rest of
the garden through the spaces, avoiding the end result of a solid division.

More ideas:
http://www.amagickgarden.com/pages/amgpages/amgED.html

HTH jenny