Old 21-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Karen

Default Care for an Orchid?

Diane Mancino wrote:
most likely it was shipped to Home Depot in bloom, so you will care for it
till it blooms again next year- don't be discouraged, hopefully you will be
rewarded with a very long lasting bloom. Learn what type you have, so you
don't kill it with kindness

"Wendy" wrote in message

Hi Lisa & welcome, just noticed that you got no replies so here

goes,

"news" wrote in message
t...

Hi. I have just recently started collecting Orchids. Although I find

them

highly fascinating, intriguing and exotic, I also find them high
maintanence!

They don't have to be! Just don't over water them. (the biggest
killer!!)

I have one orchid that I want to bring back to life. I purchased it

recently

on sale (half off) at Home Depot. It had no flowers on it, just the

narrow

leaves and stem.

We need to know more, a picture posted to:-
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
would be good or a URL for a webpage.

I have had it for two months now, have watered it and have taken care of

it,

but it still does not seem to "bud and bloom"...I would like to bring

this

Orchid back to life...

One needs lots of patience as they are slow growers!

What can I do to move up the blooming process? In addition, do Orchids

only

bloom at certain times of the year?

There is special fertilizer for this?

Please advise.

Picture an orchid up in a tree......they get shaded sunlight, lots of
fresh air,
rain & humidity & very little fertilizer.
Hope this helps, Cheers Wendy

Lisa Canfield

Lisa, you need to tell us what kind of orchid you bought, that would
help. There are so many different types of orchids.

Also, get yourself the book All About Orchids by Ortho. It is a good
beginner book about orchid care. It is one of the first books that I
bought for myself.

The worst thing you can do is over water it. Hang around here, buy a few
more orchids for yourself and have fun!
Karen