Old 26-09-2006, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Plant by Moon phase

Mike Lyle wrote:
Not that two weeks either way usually makes a big difference, but I
think you're right: these ideas may simply date from times when people
didn't have calendars, and couldn't have read them if they had. I can't
imagine any mechanism by which the moon would significantly affect
plant growth*.

I'm surprised at you. It has nothing to do with prehistoric calendars -
there are significant scientific explanations and proof that it does
work. It's not complicated - it works like photoperiodism works and the
effect of the light of the moon as well as it's effect on water, sap
rising and tides. There's been lots of good experiments: thousands of
years of planting by the moon in my region. I myself is influenced by
the moon every months )

*(And I'm always fascinated to think that people who reject religions
which have been carefully thought out by first-class minds over
hundreds of years can be tempted by primitive superstitions and such.)

Religions carefully thought out by first class minds?! LOL!!! You're
jocking aren't you )