Old 26-09-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default double digging

In article ,
"Alan McKenzie" writes:

| However have dug my spit deep trench across the first bed, about 18 inches
| wide BUT on attempting to fork over the bottom of my trench - no joy at all
| cannot get a fork or spade into it - it is solid!
| Any ideas guys please or am I being too pedantic in my prepartion. Think my
| soil is mainly clay!

The fact that you can't get into it indicates how badly it needs breaking
up. You don't want to do traditional double digging, because you don't
really want that on top, but you do need to loosen it.

What you need is a grub-axe (pick-mattock). Not the flimsy junk sold
in garden centres, but a proper agricultural tool. Failing that, a
straight pick-axe would do - but, whatever, a solid and heavy item.
The weight actually helps with such work.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.