Old 26-09-2006, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lionel Lionel is offline

Default double digging

"Alan McKenzie"

Snip

However have dug my spit deep trench across the first bed, about 18 inches
wide BUT on attempting to fork over the bottom of my trench - no joy at
all cannot get a fork or spade into it - it is solid!
Any ideas guys please or am I being too pedantic in my prepartion. Think
my soil is mainly clay!

The RHS Encylopedia of Gardening says that double digging should be carried
out if the ground has not been previously cultivated or drainage needs to be
improved.

I suggest that before you give youself a hernia or backache for years you
ask other allotment holders what the topsoil is like in winter: i.e is it
dryish or swampy or what?

Bear in mind that it's been a very dry year (Was it for you?) so the
subsoil is very dry and it's not surprising it is like concrete.

Has your allotment been used before? Have you checked the Ph?

Just think about a level double dug allotment with the second spit of clay..
There would be in effect, a sort of subsoil "pond" which will soon fill and
drainage would then be back to what it was before digging. So much for
improved drainage for beneath the second spit is clay!.

If the top-soil has a high proportion of clay I think you would be far
better off to get loads of farmyard manure and after breaking the subsoil a
bit (if possible) half fill the trench you have before backfilling and
starting the next. That would assist drainage and retain moisture - who
needs a subsoil "pond"?

If I was doing it I'd not bother with double digging if the sub-soil is as
hard as you say.

You could always have a small gravel board raised bed for exotics or a few
deep rooted plants I suppose.

200 onions? You wont have any friends left!!

Lionel