Old 26-09-2006, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Madeira trip

In message , Sacha
writes
We'd never seen Eucalyptus ficifolia before and that's a beautiful
thing. I wonder if it would flower well here?

I've checked my photographs (I thought the name was familiar) and I've
got a photograph of the flower clusters of E. ficifolia at Birmingham
Botanic Gardens, which suggests that it might flower well. (Only having
a photograph of the flower clusters and not of the whole plant -
probably I couldn't get a clear view from sufficiently far away - I
can't be sure how well distributed the flowers were.) I'm not sure
exactly where it was, but it was probably in the Subtropical House. At a
guess it'd do nicely in an orangery.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley